Easy Breakfast Ideas / Ingredients
Another limiting factor when it comes to breakfast choices is often a lack of viable options in the cupboard and/or fridge. Many of us tend to plan evening meals fairly meticulously when shopping for groceries, but breakfast items are typically treated as more of an afterthought.
Instead, try planning out your breakfasts for the week in advance when you shop. It only takes five minutes to write a quick morning meal plan, and ingredient lists can be really simple if you choose items that mix and match together in various combinations.
If you always keep a basic supply of eggs, cereal oats and grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds, baked goods, yogurt and milk (or non-dairy alternatives) in stock, you’ll never be short of healthy and tempting easy breakfast recipes to throw together. Moreover, a lot of these breakfast ingredients can be prepared in just a few minutes the evening before.
Ideal ingredients to keep in stock include:
- Oats (for porridge or overnight oats, aka Bircher muesli)
- Eggs (for omelettes, quiches and other protein-based breakfasts)
- Fruit and vegetables for fruit salads and smoothies
- Wholemeal bread (sliced and frozen if preferred) for toasts
- Muffins and bars you’ve batch-baked in advance - again, many can be frozen and then thawed overnight
In the next section, we’ve included a couple of quick recipe outlines to get you started. They’re both just designed to help get you thinking more creatively about easy breakfast ideas - feel free to create your own variants if you prefer to use other core ingredients!